We know what you’re all thinking, we have only just entered October and already we’re mentioning Christmas. Yet, when you consider the amount of crime that takes place over the festive period it is better to be prepared. Are you aware that over the Christmas period, the cost of retail crime hits almost £1 billion, with theft being the main culprit? This figure equates to 130,000 full time jobs in the retail sector. With this in mind, it is vital for retail stores to be more vigilant than ever throughout this busy time in December. Below we have highlighted ways in which you can help deter shoplifting:
- Have a security officer visible to all who enter your store. At Alpha 1 our staff are trained to recognise untoward behaviour and can act as an effective deterrent which will discourage those who feel it is okay to steal. If a theft occurs, our staff will be able to deal with the situation successfully and communicate with the police in a suitable manner.
- Ensure that you have enough staff on duty at any given time. The more eyes you have available to watch over customers, the sooner you will be able to identify anyone stealing from your store.
- Greet customers as they walk through the door. By receiving customers, and possible shoplifters, people are aware that you have noticed them and therefore will be less inclined to steal from your store, through a fear of being caught.
- Ensure the store rooms are locked and secure at all times.
- If you think someone is acting suspiciously in your shop. Approach them and ask if they are alright or need any assistance. Also, let them know that you are not that far away should they need to ask you any questions. This way, customers will feel like they are being looked after, whereas a shoplifter will feel watched and think again about taking something from your store.
- If you have a real problem with your security, you can always implement a no bag policy. This can have an adverse effect on the amount of clientele you attract into your store but at the same time it reduces the risk of people placing items in their bag as they walk around your shop.
- Give all customers a receipt and advise them that you will need to look at it for a cash refund otherwise discard any receipts that they do not need once you have left the shop. As a result you will find it easier to work out who has paid for their belongings and those who have stolen from your store.
- Install CCTV. If you haven’t already, CCTV can prove an invaluable tool in keeping thieves at bay.
It is extreme to suggest that every shopper over the Christmas Period is a shoplifter; however we feel that you can find these types of tips can always be useful. Don’t get caught out this Christmas and get in touch with us at Alpha 1 Security Services. We provide bespoke security solutions.